Sunday, January 18, 2009

Swell Update Jan 18, 2009

This swell hasn't lived up to model expectations, and although models over did this swell, I admittedly overestimated size in the calculations. Here's a quick video of what's going on right now.


Also, you can check out my latest report on WetSand.com.

As you may know, the owners of WetSand have cut me back to reporting only three times a week, so I've had to take on other work to make up for the loss in pay. This has been a distraction recently. If I had paid more attention on Friday, instead of rushing around to do my other work, I would have better seen that the outer water buoys were off compared to the models. Nevertheless, I don't feel this is a viable excuse, and I apologize for the innacuracy.

Even though WetSand can't pay me for more then 3 reports a week, my hope has been that starting this blog would help fill in the blanks and keep you informed, at no cost to you. I've also provided an email update from this blog, to keep you informed of new reports and posts to this blog. If you'd like to join this free newsletter list, please use the form to the right.

My apologies once again, and thank you for your patience and understanding.

9 comments:

  1. I appreciate it that you've done all this at no
    additional cost to me or the other buggers at Wetsand. Cant say thanks enough! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with RB, This is one of the last Free reports,Mother Nature can be tricky so no apology needed. You don't know till you go! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, although this is a free site....bummer with the report. I'm a military guy and an avid surf traveler. I've been away from home in the middle east for a long time and when I heard this report I made all kinds of exuses to get out of work and head for the waves. OUCH!!! NADA!! I'm just venting, You do do an awesome job...I was just pumped for my favorite spot in PV. Thanks for your hard work.

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't DOH, but there were waves. Had the best surf in the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries bro. You weren't the only one to get this wrong. Plenty of us were up early on Saturday looking for at least head high waves to roll through so we're all right there with you when we told all of our friends that this HUGE swell was coming. Props to you on the apology though...first time in 20 years that anyone has done that and we all know that zillions of surf forecasts in the past have gotten it wrong and they've never fessed up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the report. I do appreciate what you do and use your report as a resource.

    There was surf this weekend, but it was the most crowded I've ever seen. Rather than over-hype swells and swell heights and create exaggerated expectations, why not take the conservative approach and under-hype them?

    It'd be a lot better for everyone if surf forecasters held their load a bit more. At least it'd be less crowded in the line-ups.

    I knew it was over-hyped when the Mexican bag dude at Vons said he heard their was big surf coming this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking out, I thought you did a great job! Don't apologize. I slept in Sat and surfed in the afternoon when the swell started to hit, like I knew it might. Sunday was even better at a certain spot with the right tide. Sure it was crowded whateves, Slalom surfing is.... what it is these days. If you did not score waves this week end.....don't blame it on the forecast blame it on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. evbody got this one wrong. sd noah report sayd 8-10 then downgraded to 7-9 befor settling on 6-7 for the same days..

    great blog- thanks.


    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the good work. Wetsand and Surfline is the only surf forecast that I check. But I got to admit, this last swell everyone calculated this one wrong. But atleast we had some waves :)

    ReplyDelete